Public, Private and Hybrid Cloud Integration
Looking for an Assessment?
- Evaluate your operational readiness and capabilities today.
- Optimize the process of moving applications to the Cloud today with Sigma’s CloudSource Application Assessment.
- Assess your current infrastructure to prepare for the Cloud.
You have questions about the cloud? Sigma CloudSource has answers. Download our free ebook.
Why Adopt Cloud-based IT?
Cloud makes IT more responsive to innovation in different parts of the technology life-cycle:
- Emancipating IT, Increasing Agility, Attracting Talent
- The Cloud helps you innovate faster. Computing resources are available in a snap.
- The Cloud reduces the effort to maintain IT systems. Businesses that host email and file sharing in the Cloud can focus IT staff on more strategic projects.
- Supporting Success through Access to Elastic Resources
- The Cloud provides access to scalable computing resources, such as processor power, RAM and disk space, allowing businesses to handle traffic spikes confidently.
Read about our Cloud partnerships: Sigma Solutions Announces Entry into the Rackspace Partner Network to Deliver Private, Public and Hybrid Cloud Solutions and Sigma CloudSource Powered by Rackspace and Sigma Solutions Partners with SunGard Availability Services for Cloud Solutions and iLand.
How do you Transition to the Cloud?
As with any technology investment, it is imperative to carefully plan the implementation of Cloud technology to ensure maximum ROI. Simple guidelines to follow when planning a transition to the Cloud are outlined here:
- Plan and Be Realistic
The most important first step when implementing a Cloud Solution is to establish a clear and realistic set of goals. The Sigma Professional Services team can help you by doing a cloud-readiness assessment. Approach the planning process with patience – don’t try to do too much too soon. Also, it’s important to consult key internal stakeholders at the outset of any Cloud implementation. This includes legal advisors and indemnity insurers to ensure full protection if a data breach occurs. Other internal stakeholders, including those who sign off on technology purchases, e.g. the CEO in a small or medium business and the IT Director in a larger organization, must also be consulted.
- Identify the Problem
Once the objectives have been outlined, take inventory of all applications, consider which ones should be moved first and identify the in-house expertise available to support the migration. A thorough assessment of the applications to be migrated to the Cloud is crucial before an investment, with consideration for which applications are most suited for the Cloud and why. Let Sigma help you assess your environment and deliver a detailed map of your environment.
One approach is to determine where you have the most IT pains today and where you stand to gain the biggest benefit from the Cloud. Another approach is to migrate less ‘risky’ applications – those that are not core to the business or customer-facing – first. You may want to start testing the Cloud with a low risk or legacy application that needs to be refreshed.
3. Implement “The Cloud”
After you’ve decided which applications to migrate first, it’s time to begin the implementation. Sigma is committed to creating a painless and successful migration for you. The Cloud is easy to try before you buy because of no long-term commitment and simple purchasing process.
After the pilot program, reassess how the Cloud is working for you. If everyone is happy with the performance and costs benefits, it is time to begin a broader deployment. Remember to evaluate your needs over time; the Cloud is not a static technology and, as such, will continue to evolve and change.
It’s important to remember that the Cloud is a complement to your current IT investment. It is not an all-or-nothing solution, but something that can be adopted over time with careful consideration and planning.
4. The Time is Now
The time has never been better to start experimenting with the Cloud. The tightening economy means you can take advantage of one of the primary benefits of Cloud computing – reduced cost and better ROI. It enables you to match costs directly to revenues to scale up and down very quickly. Experimenting now with the Cloud will put you in the best possible position to not only survive, but flourish.
Capitalizing on the Benefits of Cloud Hosting
Hosting offers many benefits to companies of all sizes. It’s a cost-effective solution for those with mission-critical websites and applications that need 100% network uptime, support responsiveness, technical expertise and a secure, high-end infrastructure. Consider the following:
Hosting boosts budget efficiency by removing the need for big capital outlays on hardware and data centers, as well as the payroll required for regular maintenance and upgrades. It’s a matter of converting capital expenditures into operating expenditures: the money you now put into purchasing, maintaining and upgrading hardware and software could instead be allocated to new strategic projects for your IT department. In a hosted environment, you pay as you grow instead of over-purchasing capacity upfront. This saves you dollars in server hardware, software, upgrades and man-hours needed to run it all.
When a company grows, their infrastructure must also grow. Hosting providers have extensive hardware and software resources, they can help you scale smoothly and easily. A good hosting provider is always ready for growth, whether it’s steady, incremental expansion or a rapid deployment of a hosting environment. The elastic nature of Cloud computing also helps ensure seamless growth.
The latest technology, automatically
Since hosting providers focus on their specific area of expertise, they can stay on top of the latest advances in their industry. This lets you take advantage of the latest technologies without the expense of adding equipment or staff. You benefit from the latest in hardware and software technology, managed by experienced engineers. In addition, hosting providers continually download and install software upgrades and security patches, so systems are always up-to-date. A hosting provider can also help achieve the compliance and regulatory requirements you may need in your industry.
Migrating to the Cloud with Sigma
Sigma Solutions takes the confusion out of the Cloud buying decision. We assist SMBs and enterprises at every step of the migration process, beginning with business objectives and requirements, continuing through technology selection, and final implementation. After assessing your current IT infrastructure, we work with you to identify which applications are Cloud-ready, which are Cloud-capable, and which are not a good fit for Cloud. Once we’ve determined the right business applications for Cloud computing, we help you map out a plan for migrating and testing those applications. But, we don’t stop there.
Sigma Solutions offers a broad range of Cloud computing services, including:
- Infrastructure as a Service delivers computer infrastructure – typically a platform virtualization environment – as a service. Rather than purchasing servers, software, data center space or network equipment, customers instead buy those resources as a fully outsourced service on demand.
- Disaster Recovery as a Service provides businesses with a variety of cost-effective ways to replicate and recover critical servers and data center infrastructure in the Cloud. Customers can buy on a pay-per-use basis with varying rates based upon their recovery point objective (RPO) and recovery time objective (RTO).
- Storage as a Service provides elastic capacity on demand and allows access to stored data from virtually anywhere and at any time. Customers either pay only for the storage they use or contract for a certain amount of storage.
- Backup as a Service keeps data secure and available at all times. By offering Cloud-based data backup services, we help create and implement a plan to address customers’ unique backup, retention, and retrieval needs.
- Hosted Collaboration Services ensures continuity of voice, video, and other collaboration services when connectivity to the Cloud is lost.
Know that Sigma Solutions has the skills and expertise to ease your transition to the Cloud.